December 22, 2011

Christmas Cookies!

This is our second year to bake Christmas cookies with Kade, and I can't wait until next year when Ella can join in. This year I tried a new sugar cookie recipe and I have to say that it was THE BEST RECIPE EVER. I hate how the cookies always lose their shape when you put them in the over. These didn't and they were so good! I will be using it from now on. I am going to put the recipe here just so that I don't ever lose it! I get to print my book after just a few more posts so hopefully I will have it forever! And we can use the same recipe for years! Kade did great and thought it was so fun! And just like last year he ate the sprinkles as fast as he could!

Sugar Cookie Recipe:


*Makes 2-3 dozen sugar cookies (about 2-3 inch size)
INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened to cool room temperature
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon lemon zest (from about 1 lemon)
5 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla extract, almond extract and lemon zest; mix. Add two cups flour, baking powder and salt. Mix. Add remaining flour and mix just until flour is incorporated and the dough is smooth and soft.
The dough can be wrapped in plastic wrap and kept in the refrigerator for up to a week or it can be rolled out right away. Dust a counter with powdered sugar or flour and roll the dough to desired thickness (I prefer my cookies on the thick side so I roll my dough out to about 1/4-inch, maybe even slightly thicker than that). Cut the dough into shapes. Place the cookies on a lined or lightly greased baking sheet. Bake for 7-8 minutes. The cookies won’t appear browned on top (or on bottom) when they are done baking so don’t let them overbake! I find 7 1/2 minutes is about perfect but if they are even lightly browned on bottom, I decrease the time by 30 seconds. I like them super soft with not even a hint of browned edges or bottom. This way they literally melt in my mouth.

Seriously, they were the best. 











0 comments:

Post a Comment